What is FASTag? [Application Form Procedure, Bank List, Benefit, How to apply, Activate, Recharge]
A recent survey suggests that the number of vehicles, operating on the Indian highways have increase exponentially in the last few years. It is not possible for the toll collectors to keep a track on these vehicles. To streamline the toll collection process on the Indian highways the Transport & Highway Department has announced the launch of the FASTag Scheme. It will ease the toll payment and collection process for the vehicle owners and official respectively. In this article, you will learn about the various aspects of this unique scheme.
|Name of the scheme||FASTag Scheme|
|Launched by||Nitin Gadkari|
|Date of announcement||July 2018|
|Date of implementation||15 Dec|
|Target applicants||Indian vehicle owners|
|Supervised by||Road Transport and Highways Ministry|
Details of FASTag
The FASTag is an electronic tag that will be issued by the Indian government for the vehicle owners. The tag will be fixed on the front windscreen of the vehicle. The prepaid tag needs to be recharged by the vehicle owner. It process is similar to recharging your mobile connection. When the tag is activated, the vehicle owner will not have to stop at the toll collection centers. They can drive through the special lane where the tag sensors will be place. The sensors will read the tag details and the toll amount will be deducted from the vehicle owner’s FASTag wallet. The minister highlighted that if a person has more than one vehicle, then he/she must apply for separate FASTags for each automobile.
Key benefits of the FASTag
- Proper toll collection – The primary objective of the central government is to monitor and better the toll collection system. Reports suggest that the implementation of this scheme will double the toll collection revenue.
- Eliminates time wastage –Waiting at the end of the line, waiting for your turn to pay the toll can be rather tiresome as it takes time. With the implementation of the FASTag, vehicle owners can avoid this delay. Most of the toll payment lanes will have the electronic sensors. The drivers will no longer have to wait at the toll booth. It will save precious time for them and the passengers.
- Conserves fuel – As the card need not line up in front of the toll collection booths, it will conserve fuel and reduce environmental pollution.
- Easy toll payment – The entire system has been designed and developed to make the toll payment process easy.
- Online and offline wallet recharging facilities – It has been stated by the minister that the FASTag users will be able to recharge the FASTag wallet via online and offline modes.
- Cash back perks – The central government wants the vehicle owners to come forth and make the most of this advanced technology. It has also highlighted that the FASTag users will get cash back incentives. It will prompt more vehicle owners to register for this facility.
- Highway record management – The FASTag system will assist the Highway Management department to keep the records in order.
- SMS alerts – Once the FASTag central monitoring system detects that the toll amount has been deducted from the vehicle owner’s FASTag account, he/she will receive an SMS notification on the registered mobile number.
- FASTag App – The central government has also launched an app for the vehicle owners. They can use the FASTag app to keep track of the toll payments. They will also be able to recharge the FASTag wallet with the app.
- Free registration – During the initial announcement, the central government has stated that the applicants need to pay a certain fee for these electronic tags. Now, the minister said that one can register for free till 1st December 2019.
- Penalty for law violators – It has been mentioned in the FASTag scheme details that if the car owners do abide by the rules, then double toll fee will be charged from them as a penalty.
From where can you get the FASTag?
- Selected banks – The central government has published a list that contains the names of 22 banks. Vehicle owners can approach these banks to purchase their FASTags.
- POS – The central government has also kept the facility of Point of Sale. The applicants can get to the toll centers and get their FASTags.
- Online portals – If you are an online shopping enthusiast, then you can book your FASTag from the Amazon portal.
Documents necessary for application
- Car registration documents – If the car owner has not registered the vehicles under the Motor Vehicle Act, then he/she will not be able to apply for FASTag. A copy of the registration documents of the car must be offered for scrutiny.
- Bank account documents – As the FASTag will be linked with the bank account directly or indirectly, the candidate needs to offer bank account details. He/she must also fill in and submit a KYC form.
- ID of the vehicle owner – It is necessary that the applicant furnishes a copy of his/her Aadhra or voter card with the application form.
- Address proof – As the scheme will be implemented on a pan-nation basis, it is crucial that the applicants submit a copy of the residential proof documents, which have been issued by the respective state government.
How to apply for the FASTag?
- Online portal – The vehicle owners can log in on the official FASTag portal by clicking on the link http://www.fastag.org/download-application-form. The website offers details about the scheme.
- Bank details – The site also give the car owner to select the bank from where he/she wants to register for the FASTag.
- Application form – Once the applicant lands on the page, he/she must click on the link preferred bank name. It will redirect the applicant to the bank portal, where he/she can get the application form.
- Form download – The applicant must download the enrollment documents and get a print out.
- Form fill-up – The candidate needs to fill the form and attach the necessary documents and submit it at the nearest branch of the bank.
- Receipt issuance – The bank will issue a receipt in the name of the applicant.
- FASTag collection – The vehicle must take the receipt to the POS booth and get his/her FASTag.
Self-activation of the FASTag
- If you purchase the FASTag from the online shopping platform or the POS booth, then you can follow some steps to activate the tag without any assistance.
- The vehicle owner must download the FASTag App from Google Play Store. After the app installation, it is mandatory for the applicant to link the app details with the bank account.
- Once the connection has been secured, the candidate will receive a verification message on the registered mobile number.
- You can activate the FASTag from the app dashboard and deposit money in the FASTag wallet
FASTag activation by bank
- The candidate must have an account in any of the 22 banks, which have been selected by the government.
- The vehicle owner can go the nearest branch with the application form and documents.
- The bank agents can take the necessary steps to link the FASTag with the account of the applicant.
- The toll amount will be automatically debited from his/her bank account.
Details of the selected banks
|Sl No.||Name Of The Bank|
|3||State Bank of India|
|5||EQUITAS Small Finance Bank|
|6||Karur Vysya Bank|
|8||Kotak Mahindra Bank|
|9||PayTM Payments Bank Ltd|
|12||City Union Bank|
|14||Bank of Baroda|
|15||South Indian Bank|
|17||Punjab National Bank|
|18||Fino Payments Bank|
|19||Punjab & Maharashtra Co-op Bank|
|22||Nagpur Nagarik Sahakari Bank Ltd|
FASTag charges and recharge amount
|Fee for issuing the tag||Rs. 100|
|Security Deposit (it is refundable)||Rs. 200|
|Wallet creation charges||Rs. 100|
|Monthly wallet charge amount (maximum)||Rs. 20,000|
|Maximum amount in FASTag account (Limited KYC account holder)||Rs. 20,000|
|Maximum amount in FASTag account (full KYC account holder)||Rs. 1 lakh|
You can eliminate the FASTag wallet recharge if you connect the plate with the bank account. As you cross the toll payment terminus, the toll fee will be deducted from the bank account directly. It is worth mentioning that different banks charge slightly varying charges for the issuance and registration of this unique electronic toll payment tags.
The implementation of the FASTags will introduce technology in the toll collection system. The tags will also assist the government to keep track of stolen vehicles. The crime control department can access the automobiles’ information from the central database. The tags highlight the vehicle details, which makes it easy for the law enforcement department to nab the culprits.
Other links –